As we announced late on Tuesday, for the second year in a row, allocated funding for the Charge Up New Jersey EV Incentive Program has been exhausted faster than expected. The deadline to purchase, lease, or order an eligible vehicle was yesterday- Wednesday, September 15, 2021 at 9:00 PM.
Dealerships will have until October 15, 2021 to submit incentive applications for eligible vehicles. The cutoff date ensures that all eligible customers who are due an incentive have the opportunity to have their incentive reserved and then applied at the point-of-sale, once the vehicle is delivered.
Vehicles purchased, leased, or ordered after September 15, 2021 and before the program relaunches with renewed funding will not qualify for an incentive.
CSE, the company tasked with implementing the Charge Up New Jersey program for the Board of Public Utilities (BPU), has issued the following instructions:
- Customers visiting your dealership showroom – if a customer purchased, leased, or ordered a eligible vehicle that is delivered before 9 p.m. on September 15, 2021, they are eligible for an incentive. The dealership will have until September 29, 2021 to submit the application for reimbursement for these vehicles following the standard application process through the Dealer Web Portal at https://chargeup.njcleanenergy.com.
- Customers who have ordered an eligible vehicle that has not been delivered yet – eligible vehicles ordered between July 6, 2021 and September 15, 2021 can still receive their incentive. Follow the below steps to submit applications for these vehicles. The application for ordered vehicles must be submitted by October 15, 2021:
Dealerships and showrooms must contact the Charge Up New Jersey Program Administrator at ChargeUpNJ@Energycenter.org in order to reserve funding for vehicles that have been ordered, but not yet delivered. CSE will provide a form for dealerships to complete and return. The following information needs to be provided:
- Order Date
- VIN (if available)
- Expected MSRP
- Name of Buyer/Lessee
- New Jersey Driver License Number of Buyer/Lessee
- A signed copy of the Terms and Conditions
In response, the dealership will be provided with a placeholder VIN and placeholder documents for the vehicle contract and registration for each vehicle ordered, as applicable.
By October 15, 2021: The dealership must submit the application for the eligible vehicle through the Dealer Web Portal at https://chargeup.njcleanenergy.com. In addition, the following documents must be uploaded by October 15, 2021:
- A copy of the Applicant Terms and Conditions signed by the buyer/lessee;
- The New Jersey Driver License of the buyer/lessee;
- The Charge Up New Jersey contract placeholder document; and
- The Charge Up New Jersey registration placeholder document.
*Note: Failure to follow the steps above by October 15, 2021 will result in the vehicle order being disqualified from the manual reservation process and the incentive funding will not be reserved.
Once the vehicle is delivered to the customer and the purchase or lease contract has been fully executed, the dealership or showroom must upload the completed vehicle contract and the vehicle registration within 14 days of the vehicle transaction date. The application will then return to the regular review process as described in the Terms & Conditions.
Further information is available online at chargeup.njcleanenergy.com.
If you have any questions, please contact Charge Up New Jersey directly at email@example.com, as well as Brian Hughes (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Magdalena Padilla (email@example.com).