New Jersey is turning the tide in the fight against the spread of the COVID-19 virus and dealers applaud the ongoing efforts to roll back pandemic-related restrictions and move the State closer to a post-pandemic “normal”. With a significant increase in the pace of COVID-19 vaccinations and a sustained reduction in reported COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations, Governor Phil Murphy has announced a significant easing of COVID-19 pandemic restrictions on New Jersey businesses.
Effective May 19, most business capacities—which are currently based upon a percentage of maximum occupancy—will be removed in New Jersey. Businesses will only be limited by the space available for customers to maintain the required social distance of 6 feet. This new distance-based maximum capacity will apply across commercial settings, including dealerships.
Already, more than 3.25 million New Jersey residents are fully vaccinated and the Governor has announced a goal of having 4.7 million residents vaccinated by the end of June. This effort will be supported by Operation: Jersey Summer, which will include:
• A comprehensive multimedia vaccine awareness campaign;
• Calls/emails to individuals registered on the state’s vaccine registration system; and
• Walk-in appointments for vaccinations.
Regardless of the rollback of restrictions, dealerships must continue to follow CDC and OSHA protocols to ensure the safety of their employees and customers. These protocols include:
• Maintaining proper social distancing within their facilities;
• Requiring face coverings by employees and customers;
• Frequently sanitizing high touch areas of the showroom and service waiting areas; and
• Sanitize vehicles before and after service, test drives and upon delivery
All OSHA and CDC guidelines have been incorporated into the Coalition’s dealership-specific program, NJ CAR Clean. Contact NJ CAR at 609.883.5056 for more information on becoming a NJ CAR Clean certified dealership.